Thursday, August 2, 2018

Hawaiian Hop Party Prep

There are just certain cookbooks that keep on giving and one of my favorites is 1964's The Seventeen Cookbook. This particular volume was published before I was born, but I loved Seventeen Magazine as a teenager. This was before there were approximately 85 gajillion YouTube channels and websites aimed at teens, so Seventeen was where I learned about things like clothes and makeup and read about teen models like Whitney Houston, whose lives seemed a lot more glamorous than mine. 

No, I'm not sure I CAN deal with jealousy

The Seventeen Cookbook features not just recipes, but tips for parties, dates, family get-togethers and so much more. The nation was a little Hawaii-obsessed at the time, so that theme features prominently, including plans for a Hawaiian prom. The Hawaiian Hop looks like a lot of work, but they do instruct young prom planners to enlist a lot of help. I would love to see this actualized. Maybe we'll rent a gym and try it one day. If you'd like to in the meantime, here's all you need to know to create the Polynesian prom of your dreams!





Fill that punch bowl with Islander's Punch. If you're not serving it to actual teens you can switch out that lemon-lime for chilled prosecco and throw in a little amber rum.


Take it from Seventeen - "It's going to be a marvelous evening!"

No comments:

Post a Comment