Friday, May 12, 2017

Ant Invasion? You Need A Drink!

I live for spring, but there is one yearly ritual that comes with the warmer weather that I could do without: the ant invasion. Our house was built in 1938 and let's just say it's a little porous. At some point (sometimes more than once if it warms up, then gets cold again, then warms up again) the ants make their way in and proceed to thoroughly gross me out. Like Frank Costanza on "Seinfeld," "I will not tolerate infestation!" They're huge, too. I feel like James Whitmore, battling the giant ants in the movie "Them!"


It's enough to send a sensitive soul straight for the bar! I don't have a vintage cocktail specifically related to ants, but this one is one letter away and I'm ready to up the ante on ant removal! 


A little liquid courage, courtesy of The Bartender's Guide, by Patrick Gavin Duffy (1948), though I'll probably wait until happy hour to start drowning my ant-created sorrows. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I recommend diatomaceous earth for your ant problem by the way. I treated our yard with it in an attempt to lessen the flea problem we were having. Not only took care of the fleas, our ant and spider populations were reduced as well! Score! Non toxic and all natural too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sounds like a great idea - I'll check it out! Anything that gets rid of ants in a non-toxic way is aces in my book. :D

      Delete