Turns out Woman's Own, which bills itself as "The best women's weekly magazine in the UK!" is still being published and even still has recipes. This one stands the test of time, although I'm not sure I consider it a pie per se - more of a casserole, really. No matter, it was perfect for me right now, since I'm swamped this week and can't wrap my mind around the idea of baking. If you like veggies and cheese (And who doesn't like cheese?), here's an easy comfort food dinner that requires no skill whatsoever!
The most labor intensive part of this recipe is the chopping of the vegetables. I added the peas at the last minute, since mine were frozen, and I didn't add the corn to the water at all, since they were from a can.
Next comes the fun part: cream and cheese. I added some spices to mine, too - salt (which is a mineral, but you get it), pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Mid-century recipes tend to be pretty bland for our tastes.
Then, into the pie plate!
I had to make a couple of adjustments to my version. The recipe says to separate out some vegetables to use on top, but the plate was so full I couldn't even use them (they'll be used for something else). Also, it says to "brown under a hot grill," which I assume means a broiler, but our broiler is useless so I put it in the oven for 20 minutes at 375 degrees, which worked like a charm!
We paired it with a lovely Malbec and have lots left over for lunches! It may not be much of a "pie," but it's a great inexpensive vegetarian dinner. What's not to love?
Be sure to visit these fabulous blogs for even more Pieathalon goodness!
- Aloha Meringue Pie by Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook
- Apricot Meringue Pie by Eliot's Eats
- Chocolate Mousse Pie by Kelli's Kitchen
- Cool Mint Cookie Pie by The Book of Cookrye
- Dutch Peaches and Cream Pie by Vintage Recipe Cards
- French Raspberry Pie by Tortillas and Honey
- Frosty Vanilla Pie by Battenberg Belle
- Kate's Pie by Dinner is Served 1972
- Lemon Beer Sponge Pie by Homicidal Homemaker
- Marguerite Patten's Cheese Pie by Velveteen Lounge Kitsch-en
- Mock Pecan Pie by MyCustardPie.com
- Olde English Eggnog Pie by HeritageRecipeBox.com
- Peaches and Cream Tart by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Puddin n' Pie by The Sound of Vincent Price & Vincent Price Legacy UK
- Ritz Cracker Mock Apple Pie by Dr. Bobb's Kitschen
- Seafoam Cantaloupe Pie by Recipes4Rebels
- Strawberry Ginger Pie by Granny Pantries
- Sweet Onion Pie by Silver Screen Suppers - The Wonderful World of Film Star Eating and Drinking
- Tansey by The Nostalgic Cook
- The Millionaire by Once Upon a Salad
- Tyler Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vincent Price Pineapple Meringue by Retro Food for Modern Times
- Weight Watchers "Almost a Pie" by BookClub CookBook
- Yul Brenner's Walnut Pie by Vintage Cookbookery